Previously I was an Adjunct Professor at Carleton University in the Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies and a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow. I was also a Research Associate at the Simone de Beauvoir Institute at Concordia University.
My background is in sociology and my research interests encompass gender and sexuality, communication and media studies, cultural studies, science and technology studies, digital media (especially social media), feminist theory and critical social theory. Read more about my research here.
I completed my PhD at the University of Glasgow, Scotland in 2008, but had already moved to China in 2007 to become a Lecturer (rank equivalent to Assistant Professor) in the Division of International Communications, teaching Digital Media and Mass Communications at The University of Nottingham Ningbo, China. Read more about my teaching here.
In my spare time I am active in the anti-violence community in Ottawa and I play soccer as often as I can.
Ottawa Coalition to End Violence Against Women
- OCTEVAW is a non-profit network organization that brings together a variety of anti-violence member organizations from the Ottawa community, working collectively to end violence against women.
- Former member of the Advocacy Committee and the Public Engagement Committee.
Ottawa Rape Crisis Centre
- The ORCC is a proactive, anti-racist, feminist organization that was the third rape crisis centre to open in Canada back in 1974.
- Former Board Member and Executive Committee member. Former Secretary and Policy Committee member. Former crisis line volunteer.
Nobel Women’s Initiative
- Using the prestige of the Nobel Peace Prize, the Nobel Women’s Initiative works towards peace, justice and equality in countries around the world.
- Former social media team member, helping with their campaign to end sexual violence in conflict. Read the report that came out of the May 2011 Women Forging a New Security: Ending Sexual Violence in Conflict conference that I took part in.
- Jer’s Vision is a youth-led organization that works to end bullying, homophobia, transphobia and other forms of discrimination in schools and youth communities.
- I have volunteered at the Dare to Stand Out Conferences across Canada and have been working on a new workshop directed towards elementary school students that will offer a space to discuss Facebook from the perspective of privacy, bullying and the surrounding corporate culture.